Sunday, October 25, 2009

Paranormal Activity review.

Before I watched the movie Paranormal Activity I have been hearing hyperbolic praise on how amazingly terrifying the movie was. I heard advertisements going "scariest movie of 2009" or "THE WHOLE AUDIENCE WAS PSYCHOLOGICALLY TERRIFIED" and I must admit, it kind of made me eager to watch the movie.

The story of the movie is about this couple who decides to record the "Paranormal Activity" that was happening to them. Everything in the movie is taken place within the house of the main characters. Then again the home cameras are home cameras for a reason. Although, this makes it feel more realistic, it sort of get's boring after seeing the same things over and over again.

The most important aspect is, was "Paranormal Activity" scary? I would say yes and no. I think the director did a brilliant job of making each night worse and worse. However, I did not find anything scary enough that left me "PSYCHOLOGICALLY TERRIFIED". Some parts I do admit, was sort of creepy, but overall I think the movie was a cake walk in recent horror films. I still personally think "1408" was a better psychological horror. I think the trailer of the movie actually shows most of the scary parts minus one of the coolest scenes in the movie. The trailer actually has the final scary part of the movie included :O

Does the low budget detract from the horror? I'd also say yes and no. Some parts were very obviously fake like the whole air bubble part and such, however, some parts the low budget made it look a lot more terrifying like the coolest part of the movie which I will absolutely not spoil.

The acting was believable which was quintessential for the movie to be "realistic". Some jokes here and there sort of distracted the whole seriousness of the movie. To tell you the truth, I think this movie can pass as a comedy/thriller. I think people were laughing more than they were screaming in fear.

All in all, I think this movie seriously does not live up to the extreme hyperbolic claims that you keep hearing about everywhere. Now that I look at all the trailers and hype, it feels like it was just a massive marketing ploy to see how much money you can get with spending the least amount of money on a movie. A budget movie like this should stay in the thriller section of your nearest Mom and Pop video rental store. "Paranormal Activity" gets 2.6/5 (Average)

No comments:

Post a Comment